During a UFC press conference on Thursday, Conor McGregor (21-3-0) wreaked havoc at the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn, New York. According to the police, he and a team of men stormed the arena and attacked a bus carrying fighters scheduled to compete at the UFC 223 event.
Video of the incident reportedly showed Conor McGregor and his team throwing guard rails, trash cans, hand dollies and other loose objects at the bus. McGregor is accused of striking the bus with a hand dolly, shattering the glass and causing lacerations to lightweight fighter Micheal Chiesa (14-3-0). Ray Borg (11-3-0), another flyweight fighter scheduled for the event, reportedly suffered eye injuries from the shattered glass. Both fighters have been removed from their fights.
While there was initially considerable confusion about the attack and McGregor’s motivation, things have become clearer in the aftermath. Russian MMA fighter, Khabib Nurmagomedov (26-0-0), who was scheduled to fight at the event, confronted McGregor’s teammate, Artem Lobov (14-14-1, 1NC) earlier that week at a hotel. Lobov was also scheduled for a bout at the event, but was also dropped after the incident. UFC president, Dana White, accused him of involvement in the incident in coordination with McGregor. The attack on the bus, which was carrying Nurmagomedov, was in “retaliation” for the confrontation at the hotel.
UFC president, Dana White, said McGregor flew several people to New York from Ireland when he heard of the incident at the hotel.
Artem Loboc, who is on the undercard, is a very, very close friend of Conor McGregor. He got into an altercation with Khabib Nurmagomedov and his team. When Conor found out, he loaded up the plane full of guys from Ireland, flew over here, and coordinated this attack
Dana White has been very critical of Conor McGregor since this incident, calling it “the most disgusting thing that ever happened in UFC history” and questioning McGregor’s thinking and behavior. He said that he spoke with McGregor and McGregor apologised for hurting fighters not involved in the fraud but was not sorry for his actions, saying he believed they were necessary.
On Friday, the police charged Conor McGregor with three counts of assault over the incident. He was taken into custody in Brooklyn after turning himself in to the police. He was later released on $50 000 bail. McGregor will be allowed to travel without restriction and his next court date was set for June 14. Fellow MMA fighter, Cian Cowley (0-1-0), was charged with one count of assault and one count of criminal mischief. Bail was set for Cowley at $25 000.